We have an exciting career opportunity for a Small Business Banker! Location may be at any one of our Five Locations.
This position is responsible for effectively developing, managing, and servicing smaller to midsize business relationships through activities designed to emphasize quality new loan origination, fee income generation, deposit generation and customer relationship building of new and existing customers. This position is responsible for attaining established monthly and yearly goals while generating an acceptable level of profit to the bank. The Small Business Banker will target small business loan relationships of up to $250,000 – $500,000 or less.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Actively searches for new business by contacting prospects, networking, building business relationships, cold calling, etc. Sells business products to new and existing customers. Grows and maintains the business loan portfolio by accepting loan applications, utilizing commercial loan underwriting software to streamline the process for the target loan size, with an emphasis on credit scoring. Also responsible for providing financial consulting, analyzing credit, making decisions, negotiating credit terms and pricing with borrower, overseeing preparation of loan documents, facilitating loan closing and signing of documents, and explaining all aspects of loan and requirements to customer.
- Responsible for timely identification and early detection of problem loans. Regularly monitors the customers’ repayment and overdraft activity of own portfolio. Develops and implements workout plans to monitor credit risk. Recommends workout plan to committee for loans exceeding personal lending limits or have loss potential. Collects on past due loans through phone, mail and coordinating legal action with outside counsel. Facilitates repossession, business liquidation, and foreclosure to include sale of assets at price most favorable to bank. Quarterly, reports to Chief Credit Officer on status of watch and classified assets.
- Maintains current business portfolio and enhances customer relationships by communicating by correspondence or telephone; resolving problems such as account errors, misapplied payments, deposit non-posts, and overdraft issues.
- Develops new business deposit relationships, selling cash management services, merchant cards and other fee income products. Refers business owners and employees for retail production needs while remaining the overall relationship manager of assigned business banking clients.
- Develops strong referral relationships with internal bank partners (Branch Managers, Commercial Bankers, and Cash Management) in order to maximize the number of customer/prospect referrals to and from each department.
- Participates in community and professional activities and networks with local business organizations to develop new business prospects and opportunities which enhance the desired growth of the bank. Represents the bank in a leadership role both internally and externally.
- May provide leadership to other areas of bank by authorizing checks and service charge refunds; handling customer complaints; reviewing overdrafts; signing cashier’s checks and GL tickets; verifying large deposit items; etc. Provides guidance to other staff within the department.
- Maintains a high level of bank compliance and regulatory knowledge; trains and educates self in new areas of job knowledge through formal education, self-study, and reading of trade journals. Maintains the privacy and security control of all customer records. Reports suspicious activity or lax security measures to supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- BA/BS degree in business or finance with strong accounting and three to five general business lending experience or equivalent total years of experience
- Possess a lending philosophy consistent with the Bank
- Credit Risk Management
- Strong sales and negotiation skills
- Solid oral and written communication skills
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- PC skills including word processing and spreadsheets
- Maintains a high level of knowledge of bank operations, products and services, and regulatory and statutory requirements
- Leadership abilities to provide guidance to subordinates
- Ability to operate standard office equipment
- Strong attention to detail
- Must maintain a high level of knowledge of legal and regulatory banking compliance in order to properly complete the duties of position.